Firstly, let me stress that Bookmarkify.it is a hobby project of mine and makes no money. In fact it has only cost me money. I run this service because I find it fun to do and because I find it useful myself that it exists.
Having said that, I find your and my privacy very important. You must understand that any code posted is publicly available and findable simply by changing the numbers in the generated urls. Apart from that I use Google Analytics to collect visitor data, which, as we know, is a relatively poor choice for analytics. I am looking at moving away from them, but this will take some time.
Effective from: January 19, 2019
I, Achilleas Buisman ("I", "us", "we", or "our") built this website (https://bookmarkify.it). I will refer to this as 'Service', 'Bookmarkify' or 'I'.
Aside from the code and urls you enter yourself to create bookmarklets I collect or create the following data:
- Cookies are used to create sessions which are created to used to link together bookmarklets as they are created. As you might be aware, editing a bookmarklet creates a new one. I store the session_id in order to be able to see which bookmarklets might be versions of each other. This is useful when you might want me to remove a bookmarklet as it will allow me to track down all version of it in order to delete those too. It also provides me with interesting insights with regards to the user experience: do I need to make the creation of versions easier, do people edit bookmarklets on the site or do they copy-paste from their editor (editing on-site would mean more versions), etc. This helps me improve the service. You could always setup your browser in a way that prevents Bookmarkify from setting cookies. This would mean that it might be harder for me to execute the previously stated scenario, but then again, it might not be a scenario you are interested in anyway.
- Analytics data: These are common data points like pages visited, request_ids, session_ids, referrals, etc. I use these in order to improve the service by, for example, checking the amount of traffic I can determine the server needs. Another example would be that by looking at these data I can determine the ideal time to perform maintenance in order to impact as little people as possible. Yet another example would be that I can use the data to evaluate whether it is a good idea to implement a CDN or other optimisations for certain or all bookmarklets. Seeing as this is a non-commercial side-project, my main goals are to scratch my own itch, help out others with a useful service and learn useful new skills. I can, as a final example, use the collected data to determine what new technologies or methods I could implement to smoothen certain use cases of Bookmarkify.
Data protection officer/Data controller
GDPR requires me to have a data protection officer. Seeing as it is just me here, I am that officer. Contact me at the address all the way at the end here or through the help-widget (requires turning off ad-blocking for User Voice).
Contact me about any privacy issues please!
Guess what, it is still just me and I also fullfil the role of data processor.
Luckily for the size of this document there are some other processors as well. These are the external companies that I use to handle some services for me. See the Service Providers section for an explanation. If I have forgotten one, please let me know.
You have the right to see what personally identifiable data I have on you. Please ask me to provide it when you want it. I have done my best to have no personally identifiable data to begin with, but you never know. All I ask is that you help me out with unearthing this data and cutting me some slack with regards to time requirements seeing as bookmarkify is not a commercial project.
Lastly, I am not a lawyer, so I generated a policy on privacypolicies.com and copy-pasted some parts of that policy that I found relevant and did not feel like rewording:
Transfer Of Data
Your information, including Personal Data, may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ than those from your jurisdiction.
If you are located outside Netherlands or Germany and choose to provide information to us, please note that we transfer the data, including Personal Data, to Netherlands or Germany and process it there.
Disclosure Of Data
Bookmarkify.it may disclose your Personal Data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- To comply with a legal obligation
- To protect and defend the rights or property of Bookmarkify.it
- To prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Service
- To protect the personal safety of users of the Service or the public
- To protect against legal liability
Security Of Data
The security of your data is important to us, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Data, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
We may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate our Service ("Service Providers"), to provide the Service on our behalf, to perform Service-related services or to assist us in analysing how our Service is used.
These third parties have access to your Personal Data only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
We may use third-party Service Providers to monitor and analyse the use of our Service.
Google Analytics is a web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. Google uses the data collected to track and monitor the use of our Service. This data is shared with other Google services. Google may use the collected data to contextualise and personalise the ads of its own advertising network.
For more information on the privacy practices of Google, please visit the Google Privacy & Terms web page: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en
We may use third-party Service Providers to provide user support services.
User Voice is a company that provides tools to offer user support on our behalf. In Bookmarkify's case: we use a widget that allows you to submit support questions and/or feedback.
For more information on the privacy practices of User Voice, please visit their Privacy & Terms web page: https://www.uservoice.com/privacy/
I manage what are called Virtual Private Servers, or VPSes, on which I have installed the application and database servers for Bookmarkify. I rent these from Hetzner in Germany. This means that all of the data I do have gets saved on their real machines that host my virtual machines.
Links To Other Sites
We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third party sites or services.
Our Service does not address anyone under the age of 18 ("Children").
We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 18. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your Children has provided us with Personal Data, please contact us. If we become aware that we have collected Personal Data from children without verification of parental consent, we take steps to remove that information from our servers.
- By email (spam-protection applied): bookmarkify(this special sign: @)abuisman.nl